Thursday 11 August 2016

Where To Start?

I find myself stuck in that indomitable position – where to start? It’s a self-inflicted conundrum, constantly flipping between the pressures to get it perfect the first time, and telling myself that making mistakes is okay – you can edit.

I suppose a kind of introduction would be apt, seeing as this is my blog. My name is Elizabeth, I am twenty-four years old, and I originally hail from Tasmania. I love writing, reading, theatre, acting, singing, comedy, Japanese food, soy chai lattes, dogs, and many, many other things.

I’ve been writing creatively since I was in Primary School. I liked making up stories, writing stories, and coming up with ideas in my head. One of my favourite things to do was to sit in my room and listen to instrumental music, making up stories to go along with the melody. Every night before bed, my mother would read me a chapter from a book. I’d listen to stories like Black Beauty, The Railway Children, Heidi, or The Three Musketeers on audiocassette. I was an avid reader, and I developed this passion from my mother, who is a Librarian. Reading was an intrinsic part of growing up, and I loved fantasy, magic, and adventure.

Through reading, I fostered a love of stories and writing. I find that I’ve branched out into many genres and styles of writing through the many years of my life: poetry, songs, scripts for both stage and screen, short stories, blogging, and academic. I love words, and I love the stories they can tell when carefully assembled. My ideal career would be a culmination of acting, writing, and directing. I love Young Adult novels and fiction, even if the genre isn’t taken very seriously by the greater writing community.

I have finally planned out my Writing Festival, and I’m very excited with what I have ahead of me. As this is my experience of the festival, I’ve tried to cater to my interests and things that I feel would benefit my writing.

FRIDAY
10:00AM
TMtS Opening Session, Ulumbarra
4:15PM
As Good As It Gets, Capital Theatre
5:15PM
New Ways To Do It: Poetry On Show, Banquet Room, The Capital

SATURDAY
10:30AM
The Funny Side, Bendigo Bank Theatre at The Capital
11:45AM
A Dramatic Life, Trades Hall
1:00PM
Voices in the Dark, Strategem Studio at Ulumbarra
3:30PM
Tim Flannery, Capital Theatre
4:45PM
Inspired: What Writers Read, Trades Hall on View Street
6:00PM – 7:00PM
Stone By Stone: Story Building, Engine Room at the Old Fire Station
8:00PM
Saturday Night: According to Assange, Ulumbarra Theatre

SUNDAY
11:15AM
The Character of Place, Trades Hall on View Street
12:30PM
Tools of the Trade, Engine Room at the Old Fire Station
1:45PM
On Shakespeare, Trades Hall on View Street
3:00PM
Dreamweaver, Trades Hall on View Street

4:30PM
Festival Closing Event Concert, Capital Theatre

No comments:

Post a Comment