Wednesday 28 September 2016

After The Festival: Reflections

Well, what an event that was! A completely exhausting, but completely wonderful five days. Suffering from an intellectual hangover, and my mind is still processing all the information I've received over the last couple of days. This was challenging, but good. It forced me to do things that I wouldn't normally do. Like, explore a new city, share a room with someone I don't know particularly well, get to know the person I don't know particularly well, ask questions at a public forum. As I was driving back in my car, listening to music and singing along, I realised that it was the first time I'd been alone in over five days. Which is a massive deal for me, because I'm a huge introvert and love my alone time. But, I made it.

Listening the writers speak was incredibly inspiring. I came away with much to think about, and have now begun to address some of the fears that I've held as an aspiring author. Like my fear of editing, and the idea that editing means that you've failed and that your work isn't good enough. Also about scaling the enormous brick wall that is writing a novel. It's something I've always wanted to do, and listening to published authors talk about their process made it feel like a more achievable goal.

The Bendigo Writers Festival and Writers in Action introduced me to so many authors that I wouldn't really have known or looked at otherwise. Over the five days I purchased so many books. 'The Rosie Project' and 'The Rosie Effect' by Graeme Simsion, 'On Shakespeare' and 'The Time Of My Life' by John Bell, 'Hello Beautiful' by Hannie Rayson, 'The Most Good You Can Do' by Peter Singer, and 'We're All Going To Die' by Dr. Leah Kaminsky. I really wanted to buy 'Skylarking' by Kate Mildenhall, but they'd sold out by the time I'd gotten there. Looks like there's another one for the BookDepository wishlist. My poor bank account is going to need a little bit of time to recover. One Australian author that I'd really love to see at a writers festival is Markus Zusak, the author of 'The Messenger', 'The Book Thief', and 'The Underdog'. He is my favourite Australian author, and one of my favourite authors overall. I think he'd be a really interesting guest. Maybe at the 2017 Bendigo Writers Festival?

Writers in Action is a great opportunity for aspiring writers in any genre to absorb themselves into a festival atmosphere and listen to some really intelligent and funny authors talk about the craft of writing. It's a whirlwind of information and creative talent. Sue Gillett is an amazing professor, she is enthusiastic and passionate about teaching and the subject matter. She made the whole experience so much better than it already was, and was incredibly personable and warm. I would definitely recommend Writers in Action as a subject to anyone. And I'm not just saying that because we're getting marked on these blogs and I want to get a good grade.

My personal highlights for the Bendigo Writers Festival 2016, and Writers in Action were listening to John Bell, who I really admire, speak on Shakespeare and acting, listening to the engaging Hannie Rayson, and basically just all these little bits and pieces of quotes and advice that I have jotted down in my notebook for safekeeping.

Liz out!

No comments:

Post a Comment